Dark Chocolate Mudcake
- Author: Viva La Buttercream
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 90 Mins
- Total Time: 1 hour 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 x 6" x 4" Cakes
- Category: Cake
- 1 cup Self Raising Flour
- 1 cup Plain (All Purpose) Flour
- 1 1/2 cup Dark Brown Sugar
- 2 Tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 3 Eggs Large
- 1 1/2 cup Milk Low fat or light
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Essence/flavouring
- 200 grams Dark Chocolate, Melted with oil
- 1/3 cup Rice Bran Oil (Substitute Light Olive Oil if you prefer)
- 2 Tablespoons Butterspread or Margarine
- Preheat your oven to 150℃ (300℉) for Conventional Ovens. Fan forced and convection oven heats may vary.
- Combine Dark Chocolate and oil, and melt slowly either in the microwave, or over a double boiler.
- Add dry ingredients to your mixer bowl, and mix through. This stops the sugar from clumping at the bottom (because Dark Brown Sugar is quite sticky).
- Add Eggs, milk, and butter, and mix on medium speed until combined.
- On low speed, slowly add chocolate mixture, and then mix on medium until combined.
- Bake for about 1 1/2 hours, but the key with mudcakes is too bake them on a low temperature, so they don’t rise, and keep that delicious fudgy texture, so adjust as necessary.
Mudcakes last REALLY well. This cake will keep well wrapped/air tight, for at least a week in or out of the fridge. If you have PERISHABLE fillings, you MUST store your cakes in the fridge.
Basic Buttercream lasts as well as Mudcake, so you could easily make your cake on the Monday, and store it airtight in the fridge for Saturday. I say airtight, because while it won’t spoil quickly, its still cake, so it WILL dry out given the chance!
Wanna see how its done?
Check out my tutorial recorded LIVE on Facebook, as we make this super easy, and SOOO delicious Dark Chocolate Mudcake!